Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease surveillance—United States, 1971-2000.MMWR Surveill Summ. 2002; 51: 1-6
- Deaths from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease—United States, 2000-2005.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2008; 57: 1229-1232
- Interpreting COPD prevalence estimates: what is the true burden of disease?.Chest. 2003; 123: 1684-1692
- COPD: epidemiology, prevalence, morbidity, and mortality, and disease heterogeneity.Chest. 2002; 121: 121S-126S
- Rehospitalizations among patients in the Medicare fee-for-service program.N Engl J Med. 2009; 360: 1418-1428
- The aging immune system and its relationship to the development of COPD.Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2009; 6: 573-580
- COPD in the elderly patient.Semin Respir Crit Care Med. 2010; 31: 596-606
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease among adults.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012; 61: 938-943
- Geographic disparities in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) hospitalization among Medicare beneficaries in the United States.Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2011; 6: 321-328
- The geography of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in California, 1993 and 1999: using a novel method to transform zip code level data to a uniform grid structure.Am J Epidemiol. 2006; 163: S28
- From COPD to chronic systemic inflammatory syndrome.Lancet. 2007; 370: 797-799
- Controversies in treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Lancet. 2011; 378: 1038-1047
- Increased risk of myocardial infarction and stroke exacerbation of COPD.Chest. 2010; 137: 1091-1097
- Treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and its comorbidities.Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2008; 5: 848-856
- Complex chronic comorbidities of COPD.Eur Respir J. 2008; 31: 204-212
- COPD exacerbations: defining their cause and prevention.Lancet. 2007; 370: 786-795
- Evidence base for management of acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Ann Intern Med. 2001; 134: 595-599
- Ascertainment of cause-specific mortality in COPD: operations of the torch clinical endpoint committee.Thorax. 2007; 62: 411-415
- Salmeterol and fluticasone propionate and survival in chronic obstructvie pulmonary disease.N Engl J Med. 2007; 356: 775-789
- Outcomes associated with tiotropium.Arch Intern Med. 2009; 169: 1403-1411
- The 4-year trial of tiotropium in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.N Engl J Med. 2008; 359: 1543-1554
- What have we learned from large drug treatment trials in COPD?.Lancet. 2007; 370: 774-785
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Medicare data file descriptions. Available at: http://www.resdac.umn.edu/Medicare/file_descriptions.asp. Accessed June 1, 2012.
- The validity of diagnosing chronic obstructive pulmonary disease from a large administrative database.Can Respir J. 2005; 12: 251-256
- HCFA's racial and ethnic data: current accuracy and recent improvement.Health Care Financ Rev. 2000; 21: 107-116
- Assessing comorbidity using claims data: an overview.Med Care. 2002; 40: IV-26-IV-35
- Comorbidity measures for use with administrative data.Med Care. 1998; 36: 8-27
- The validity of ICD-9-CM diagnosis codes for identifying patients hospitalized for COPD exacerbations.Chest. 2012; 141: 87-93
- Trends in hospitalization with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease-United States, 1990-2005.COPD. 2010; 7: 59-62
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease hospitalization rates in Massachusetts: a trend analysis.Q J Med. 2010; 103: 163-168
- Utilization, spending, and price trends for short- and long-acting beta-agonists and inhaled corticosteroids in the Medicaid Program, 1991-2000.Am Health Drug Benefits. 2011; 4: 140-149
- Influenza Vaccine Coverage—United States, 2000-2010.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA2012
- Trends in Current Cigarette Smoking among High School Students and Adults, United States, 1965-2010.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA2012
- Global burden of COPD: risk factors, prevalence, and future trends.Lancet. 2007; 370: 765-773
- Estimated long-term ambient concentrations of PM10 and development of respiratory symptoms in a nonsmoking population.Arch Environ Health. 1995; 50: 139-152
- Household air pollution from coal and biomass fuel in China: measurements, health impacts, and interventions.Environ Health Perspect. 2007; 115: 848-855
- Prevalence of chronic obstrcutive pulmonary disease in the US working population: an analysis of data from the 1997-2004 National Health Interview Survey.COPD. 2009; 6: 380-387
- Respiratory disease in agricultural workers: mortality and morbidity statistics.J Agromed. 2007; 12: 5-10
- Association between chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and employment by industry and occupation in the US population: a study of data from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.Am J Epidemiol. 2002; 156: 738-746
- Airflow obstruction attributable to work in industry and occupation among US race/ethnic groups: a study of NHANES III data.Am J Indust Med. 2004; 46: 126-135
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease due to occupational exposure to silica dust: a review of the epidemiological and pathological evidence.Occup Environ Med. 2003; 60: 237-243
- COPD and chronic bronchitis risk of indoor air pollution from solid fuel: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Thorax. 2010; 65: 221-228
- Associations between statins and COPD: a systematic review.BMC Pulm Med. 2009; 9: 32
- Trends in statin use and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels among US adults: impact of the 2001 National Cholesterol Education Program guidelines.Ann Pharmacother. 2008; 42: 1208-1215
- Overdiagnosis of disease: a modern epidemic.Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172: 1123-1124
- Trends in in-hospital deaths among hospitalizations with pulmonary emoblism.Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172: 960-961
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Chronic condition data warehouse. Available at: http://www.ccwdata.org/summary-statistics. Accessed July 1, 2012.
Funding: This work was supported by the National Institutes of Health ( K08 AG31583 , U54RR026141 , K05-CA134923 , UL1 RR029876 , 5P30AG024832 , K23AG038476 , and R01-AG033134 ) and by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality R01-HS020642 .
Conflicts of Interest: None.
Authorship: JB contributed to conception, design, analysis, and interpretation of data, drafting the article, and final approval of the draft. YW contributed to analysis and interpretation of data, drafting the article, and final approval of the draft. HMH contributed to conception, design, interpretation of data, drafting the article, and final approval of draft. YFK contributed to conception, design, analysis, and interpretation of data, drafting the article, and final approval of draft. GS contributed to conception, design, analysis, and interpretation of data, drafting the article, and final approval of draft.