Methods and Results
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Polycystic ovary syndrome.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 1223-1236
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome and the risk of spontaneous abortion following assisted reproductive technology treatment.Hum Reprod. 2001; 16: 2606-2609
- Revised 2003 consensus on diagnostic criteria and long-term health risks related to polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).Hum Reprod. 2004; 19: 41-47
- Hyperinsulinemia is common in family members of women with polycystic ovary syndrome.Fertil Steril. 1996; 66: 942-947
- Clinical, biochemical, and ovarian morphologic features in women with acanthosis nigricans and masculinization.Obstet Gynecol. 1985; 66: 545-552
- Prevalence and characteristics of the metabolic syndrome in women with polycystic ovary syndrome.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005; 90: 1929-1935
- Prevalence and predictors of risk for type 2 diabetes mellitus and impaired glucose tolerance in polycystic ovary syndrome: a prospective, controlled study in 254 affected women.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1999; 84: 165-169
- Obesity, polycystic ovary syndrome and anovulation—how are they interrelated?.Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2001; 13: 323-327
- Early impairment of endothelial structure and function in young normal-weight women with polycystic ovary syndrome.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004; 89: 4588-4593
- Polycystic ovary syndrome is associated with endothelial dysfunction.Circulation. 2001; 103: 1410-1415
- Endothelial dysfunction in young women with polycystic ovary syndrome: relationship with insulin resistance and low-grade chronic inflammation.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004; 89: 5592-5596
- Platelet dysfunction in lean women with polycystic ovary syndrome and association with insulin sensitivity.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003; 88: 2263-2268
- Polycystic ovary syndrome is associated with severe platelet and endothelial dysfunction in both obese and lean subjects.Atherosclerosis. 2009; 204: 509-514
- Platelet nitric oxide responsiveness: a novel prognostic marker in acute coronary syndromes.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2005; 25: 2661-2666
- Clinical signs of androgen excess as risk factors for coronary artery disease.Fertil Steril. 1990; 54: 255-259
- Searching for polycystic ovary syndrome in postmenopausal women: evidence of a dose-effect association with prevalent cardiovascular disease.Menopause. 2007; 14: 284-292
- Menstrual cycle irregularity as a marker of cardiovascular risk factors at postmenopausal years.Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol. 2006; 50 ([Portuguese]): 876-883
- Age decreases nitric oxide synthesis and responsiveness in human platelets and increases formation of monocyte-platelet aggregates.Cardiovasc Res. 2007; 75: 793-802
- Aging is associated with endothelial dysfunction in healthy men years before the age-related decline in women.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1994; 24: 471-476
- Revised 2003 consensus on diagnostic criteria and long-term health risks related to polycystic ovary syndrome.Fertil Steril. 2004; 81: 19-25
- Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and beta-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man.Diabetologia. 1985; 28: 412-419
- Role of endothelial nitric oxide in bone marrow-derived progenitor cell mobilization.Handb Exp Pharmacol. 2007; : 37-44
- Endothelial progenitor cell release into circulation is triggered by hyperoxia-induced increases in bone marrow nitric oxide.Stem Cells. 2006; 24: 2309-2318
- Asymmetric dimethylarginine (ADMA): a novel risk factor for endothelial dysfunction: its role in hypercholesterolemia.Circulation. 1998; 98: 1842-1847
- Suppressed anti-aggregating and cGMP-elevating effects of sodium nitroprusside in platelets from patients with stable angina pectoris.Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol. 1996; 354: 520-525
- Pulse wave analysis and arterial stiffness.J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 1998; 32: S33-S37
- Determination of l-arginine and NG, NG - and NG, NG' -dimethyl-L-arginine in plasma by liquid chromatography as AccQ-Fluor fluorescent derivatives.J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2004; 805: 325-329
- Number and migratory activity of circulating endothelial progenitor cells inversely correlate with risk factors for coronary artery disease.Circ Res. 2001; 89: E1-E7
- Inflammatory and endothelial markers in women with polycystic ovary syndrome.Eur J Clin Invest. 2006; 36: 691-697
- Nitrate resistance in platelets from patients with stable angina pectoris.Circulation. 1999; 100: 129-134
- Ramipril sensitizes platelets to nitric oxide: implications for therapy in high-risk patients.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012; 60: 887-894
- Epidemiology of coronary heart disease: the Framingham study.Am J Med. 1984; 76: 4-12
- Asymmetrical dimethylarginine, inflammatory and metabolic parameters in women with polycystic ovary syndrome before and after metformin treatment.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008; 93: 82-90
Funding: This study was funded in part by the Cardiovascular Lipid Disorders research grant (Pfizer, Australia), and departmental funding . WC and AS were recipients of postgraduate research scholarships from the University of Adelaide and Cardiovascular Lipid Disorders research grants (Pfizer, West Ryde, NSW, Australia).
Conflict of Interest: None.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in preparation of the manuscript.