Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Electrocardiographic manifestations of hyperkalemia.Am J Emerg Med. 2000; 18: 721-729
- Preferred therapy of hyperkalemia in renal insufficiency: survey of nephrology training-program directors.N Engl J Med. 1989; 320: 60-61
- Management of patients with acute hyperkalemia.CMAJ. 2010; 182: 1631-1635
- Emergency management and commonly encountered outpatient scenarios in patients with hyperkalemia.Mayo Clin Proc. 2007; 82: 1553-1561
- Ion-exchange resins in the treatment of anuria.Lancet. 1953; 262: 791-795
- Treatment of the oliguric patient with a new sodium-exchange resin and sorbitol; a preliminary report.N Engl J Med. 1961; 264: 111-115
- Colonic complications after renal transplantation.Gastroenterology. 1973; 64: 533-538
- Colonic necrosis with Kayexalate-sorbitol enemas after renal transplantation.Ann Intern Med. 1989; 111: 947-949
- Intestinal necrosis due to sodium polystyrene (Kayexalate) in sorbitol enemas: clinical and experimental support for the hypothesis.Surgery. 1987; 101: 267-272
- Colonic necrosis due to oral kayexalate in a critically-ill patient.Am J Med Sci. 2009; 337: 305-306
- [Colonic ulcer after prolongated administration of Kayexalate (sodium polystyrene sulfonate)].Gastroenterol Clin Biol. 2004; 28: 311-313
- Ion-exchange resins for the treatment of hyperkalemia: are they safe and effective?.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010; 21: 733-735
- Damned if you do, damned if you don't: potassium binding resins in hyperkalemia.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010; 5: 1723-1726
- The use of sodium polystyrene sulfonate in the inpatient management of hyperkalemia.J Hosp Med. 2011; 6: 136-140
- Pathogenesis, diagnosis and management of hyperkalemia.Pediatr Nephrol. 2011; 26: 377-384
- Hyperkalemia revisited.Tex Heart Inst J. 2006; 33: 40-47
- Meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology: a proposal for reporting.JAMA. 2000; 283: 2008-2012
- The use of the WHO-UMC system for standardized causality assessment.Accessed December 2, 2011)
- Upper gastrointestinal tract injury in patients receiving kayexalate (sodium polystyrene sulfonate) in sorbitol: clinical, endoscopic, and histopathologic findings.Am J Surg Pathol. 2001; 25: 637-644
- Colonic necrosis following sodium polystyrene sulfonate (Kayexalate)-sorbitol enema in a renal transplant patient.Dis Colon Rectum. 1993; 36: 607-609
- Combined gastric and ileocecal toxicity (serpiginous ulcers) after oral kayexalate in sorbitol therapy.Am J Kidney Dis. 1997; 30: 120-122
- [Sodium polystyrene sulfonate (Resonium A) as possible cause of rectal blood loss].Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 1997; 141: 2127-2129
- Acute abdomen with colonic necrosis induced by Kayexalate-sorbitol.South Med J. 2000; 93: 511-513
- Acute colonic necrosis associated with sodium polystyrene sulfonate (Kayexalate) enemas in a critically ill patient: case report and review of the literature.J Trauma. 2001; 51: 395-397
- “Giant diverticulum” sigmoid colon.J Am Coll Surg. 2002; 195: 130
- Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Weekly clinicopathological exercises. Case 37-2003. A 79-year-old man with coronary artery disease, peripheral vascular disease, end-stage renal disease, and abdominal pain and distention.N Engl J Med. 2003; 349: 2147-2155
- Resonium-induced small bowel perforation.Eur J Intern Med. 2006; 17: 523-524
Mummadi SR, Naniwadekar AS, Tang P. Ischemic necrosis of the terminal ileum and cecum with oral kayexalate. Paper presented at: American College of Gastroenterology Annual Conference, October 12-17, 2007. Philadelphia, PA.
Teshima C, Jewell L, Sandha G. Kayexalate-associated colonic necrosis: a case report and review of the literature. Paper presented at: Canadian Digestive Diseases Week, February 16-18, 2007. Banff, Canada.
- Colonic necrosis due to sodium polystyrene sulfate (Kayexalate).Am J Emerg Med. 2009; 27: 753.e1-753.e2
- Ileocolic perforation secondary to sodium polystyrene sulfonate in sorbitol use: a case report.Can J Gastroenterol. 2009; 23: 689-690
- From hyperkalemia to ischemic colitis: a resinous way.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2009; 7: e46-e47
- Sodium polystyrene sulfonate (SPS): sorbitol-induced colonic necrosis.Pract Gastroenterol. 2010; : 47-50
Albino C, AS, Carlos C, Cristina F, Cantiga P, Braz N. From hyperkalemia to colonic necrosis. Paper presented at: 10th Congress of the European Federation of Internal Medicine, October 5-8, 2011, Athens, Greece.
- Colonic necrosis in a young patient receiving oral kayexalate in sorbitol: case report and literature review.Kaohsiung J Med Sci. 2011; 27: 155-158
- Rectal stenosis caused by foreign body reaction to sodium polystyrene sulfonate crystals (Kayexalate).Ann Diagn Pathol. 2007; 11: 217-219
- Colonic necrosis and perforation following oral sodium polystyrene sulfonate (Resonium A/Kayexalate in a burn patient.Burns. 2002; 28: 189-190
- Abdomen aigu chez un malade hémodialysé: songez au cristall.Hépato-Gastro. 2005; 12: 423-425
- Is sodium polystyrene sulfonate (Kayexalate, Kionex) in sorbitol deadly to uremic patients?.Surg Rounds. 2008 May 9; (Epub)
- Intestinal necrosis associated with postoperative orally administered sodium polystyrene sulfonate in sorbitol.Am J Kidney Dis. 1992; 20: 159-161
- Kayexalate (sodium polystyrene sulphonate) in sorbitol associated with intestinal necrosis in uremic patients.Can J Gastroenterol. 1997; 11: 573-577
- Necrosis of the gastrointestinal tract in uremic patients as a result of sodium polystyrene sulfonate (Kayexalate) in sorbitol: an underrecognized condition.Am J Surg Pathol. 1997; 21: 60-69
- [Colonic necrosis caused by sodium polystyrene (kayexalate) in hemodialysis: myth or reality? Two case reports].Nephrologie. 2002; 23: 131-134
- Intestinal necrosis due to sodium polystyrene sulfonate (Kayexalate) in sorbitol.South Med J. 2009; 102: 493-497
- Mechanism of adrenal angiotensin II receptor changes after nephrectomy in rats.J Clin Invest. 1981; 67: 1171-1176
- Colon perforation after renal transplantation: a single-institution review.Clin Transplant. 1997; 11: 88-93
- Sodium polystyrene sulfonate pneumonitis.Arch Intern Med. 1982; 142: 379-381
- Management of hyperkalemia with a cation-exchange resin.N Engl J Med. 1961; 264: 115-119
- Emergency interventions for hyperkalaemia.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005; (CD003235)
- Controversial issues in the treatment of hyperkalaemia.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2003; 18: 2215-2218
Conflict of Interest: None.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and played a role in writing this manuscript.