Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Effect of medication nonadherence on hospitalization and mortality among patients with diabetes mellitus.Arch Intern Med. 2006; 166: 1836-1841
- Impact of medication therapy discontinuation on mortality after myocardial infarction.Arch Intern Med. 2006; 166: 1842-1847
- Impact of medication adherence on hospitalization risk and healthcare cost.Med Care. 2005; 43: 521-530
- Persistence with treatment for hypertension in actual practice.CMAJ. 1999; 160: 31-37
- Enhancing Prescription Medicine Adherence: A National Action Plan.Accessed May 26, 2010)
- Primary non-compliance with prescribed medication in primary care.BMJ. 1993; 307: 846-848
- Long-term persistence in use of statin therapy in elderly patients.JAMA. 2002; 288: 455-461
- Predictors of adherence with antihypertensive and lipid-lowering therapy.Arch Intern Med. 2005; 165: 1147-1152
- Non-adherence to adjuvant tamoxifen therapy in women with primary breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2003; 21: 602-606
- Adherence to therapy with oral antineoplastic agents.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2002; 94: 652-661
- Antihypertensive medication adherence in the Department of Veterans Affairs.Am J Med. 2007; 120: 26-32
- Unclaimed prescriptions after automated prescription transmittals to pharmacies.Pharm World Sci. 2004; 26: 26-31
- Primary medication non-adherence: analysis of 195,930 electronic prescriptions.J Gen Intern Med. 2010; 25: 284-290
- New prescription medication gaps: a comprehensive measure of adherence to new prescriptions.Health Serv Res. 2009; 44: 1640-1661
- Factors associated with first-fill adherence rates for diabetic medications: a cohort study.J Gen Intern Med. 2008; 24: 233-237
- Predictors of first-fill adherence for patients with hypertension.Am J Hypertens. 2009; 22: 392-396
- Cost sharing and the initiation of drug therapy for the chronically ill.Arch Intern Med. 2009; 169: 740-748
- The implications of choice: prescribing generic or preferred pharmaceuticals improves medication adherence for chronic conditions.Arch Intern Med. 2006; 166: 332-337
- Uptake of electronic prescribing in community-based practices.J Gen Intern Med. 2008; 23: 358-363
- Electronic Prescribing (eRx) Incentive Program.https://www.cms.gov/ERXIncentive/(Accessed May 26, 2010)Date: 2010
- Four-dollar generics—increased accessibility, impaired quality assurance.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 1885-1887
Funding: This work is supported by a research grant from CVS Caremark . Dr Shrank is supported by a career development award from the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute ( HL-090505 ).
Conflict of Interest: Dr Brennan, Dr Liberman, and Mr Hutchins are employees of CVS Caremark. Dr Schneeweiss has consultancies with WHISCON, RTI Health Solutions, and The Lewin Group. The remaining authors have no conflicts of interest to report.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and played a role in writing this manuscript.