Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Actual causes of death in the United States, 2000.JAMA. 2004; 291: 1238-1245
- Trends in hospitalizations for pneumonia among persons aged 65 years or older in the United States, 1988-2002.JAMA. 2005; 294: 2712-2719
- The burden of community-acquired pneumonia in seniors: results of a population-based study.Clin Infect Dis. 2004; 39: 1642-1650
- Reversing age-associated immunosenescence via exercise.Exerc Immunol Rev. 2004; 10: 6-41
- Disability and cognitive impairment are risk factors for pneumonia-related mortality in older adults.Public Health Rep. 1993; 108: 314-322
- A prospective study of age and lifestyle factors in relation to community-acquired pneumonia in US men and women.Arch Intern Med. 2000; 160: 3082-3088
- Birth weight and adult hypertension and obesity in women.Circulation. 1996; 94: 1310-1315
- Compendium of physical activities: classification of energy costs of human physical activities.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1993; 25: 71-80
- Reproducibility and validity of a self-administered physical activity questionnaire.Int J Epidemiol. 1994; 23: 991-999
- A prospective study of age-specific physical activity and premenopausal breast cancer.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2008; 100: 728-737
- A prospective study of physical activity and incident and fatal prostate cancer.Arch Intern Med. 2005; 165: 1005-1010
- Physical activity and risk of breast cancer in premenopausal women.Br J Cancer. 2003; 89: 847-851
- Chi-square tests with one degree of freedom: extensions of the Mantel-Haenszel procedure.J Am Stat Assoc. 1963; 58: 690-700
- Immune function in sport and exercise.J Appl Physiol. 2007; 103: 693-699
- Altitude, exercise and immune function.Exerc Immunol Rev. 2005; 11: 6-16
- Can exercise training improve immune function in the aged?.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2002; 959: 117-127
- Chronic resistance exercise training improves natural killer cell activity in older women.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2005; 60: 1315-1318
- Effect of moderate exercise on immune senescence in men.Eur J Appl Physiol. 2001; 86: 105-111
- Exercise and psychosocial factors modulate immunity to influenza vaccine in elderly individuals.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2002; 57: M557-M562
- Major causes of death among men and women in China.N Engl J Med. 2005; 35: 1124-1134
- Energy expenditure, cigarette smoking, and blood pressure level as related to death from specific diseases.Am J Epidemiol. 1978; 108: 12-18
- Physical activity and the risk of pneumonia in male smokers administered vitamin E and beta-carotene.Int J Sports Med. 2006; 27: 336-341
- Non-specific host response markers in the differentiation between pneumococcal and viral pneumonia: what is the most accurate combination?.Pediatr Int. 2004; 46: 545-550
- Radiologic differentiation between bacterial and viral lower respiratory infection in children: a systematic literature review.Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2000; 39: 627-633
- Differentiating bacterial from viral pneumonias in children.Pediatr Radiol. 1988; 18: 453-454
Funding: National Institutes of Health Grant CA-050385 .
Conflict of Interest: None of the authors have any conflicts of interest associated with the work presented in this manuscript.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and played a role in writing this manuscript. Dr Neuman had full access to the data in the study and takes responsibility for the integrity of the data and the accuracy of the data analysis. Drs Neuman, Willett, and Curhan participated in all aspects of the study, including study concept and design, acquisition of data, analysis and interpretation of data, drafting of the manuscript, statistical analysis, and critical revision of the manuscript for important intellectual content.