Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Bariatric surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA. 2004; 292: 1724-1737
- Levels of Evidence and Grades of Recommendation.Accessed January 2, 2007)
- Assessing the quality of reports of randomized clinical trials: is blinding necessary?.Control Clin Trials. 1996; 17: 1-12
- Random effects models for effect sizes.in: Statistical Methods for Metaanalysis. 42. Academic Press, Orlando, FL1985: 191-200
- Metaanalysis in clinical trials.Control Clin Trials. 1986; 7: 177-188
- The comparison of percentages in matched samples.Biometrika. 1950; 37: 256-266
- Quantifying heterogeneity in a meta-analysis.Stat Med. 2002; 21: 1539-1558
- Diabetes trends in the U.S.: 1990-1998.Diabetes Care. 2000; 23: 1278-1283
- The evolving diabetes burden in the United States.Ann Intern Med. 2004; 140: 945-950
- Prevalence of diabetes and impaired fasting glucose in adults in the U.S. population: National Health And Nutrition Examination Survey 1999-2002.Diabetes Care. 2006; 29: 1263-1268
- Global prevalence of diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: 1047-1053
- Obesity and diabetes in the developing world—a growing challenge.N Engl J Med. 2007; 356: 213-215
- The World Health Report 2006.Geneva World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland2006
- Chronic hunger and obesity epidemics eroding global progress.Accessed January 2, 2007)
- The global challenge of obesity, 2002.Accessed January 2, 2007)
- Overweight and obesity in the United States: prevalence and trends, 1960-1994.Int J Obes. 1998; 22: 39-47
- Prevalence of obesity, diabetes and obesity-related health risk factors, 2001.JAMA. 2003; 289: 76-79
- The continuing epidemics of obesity and diabetes in the United States.JAMA. 2001; 286: 1195-1200
North American Association for the Study of Obesity (NAASO) and the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI). The Practical Guide: Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults. NIH Publication #00-4084, Oct 2000.
NHANES III Public Use Data File. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS). National Center for Health Statistics. Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988-1994, NHANES III Laboratory Data File (CD-ROM). Public Use Data File Documentation Number 76200. Hyattsville, MD: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1996. Available from National Technical Information Service (NTIS), Springfield, VA.
- Diet, lifestyle, and the risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus in women.N Engl J Med. 2001; 345: 790-797
- Body weight and mortality among women.N Engl J Med. 1995; 333: 677-685
- Glucose utilization in morbidly obese subjects before and after weight loss by gastric bypass operation.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1995; 19: 558-561
- Relationship between obesity, insulin resistance, and coronary heart disease risk.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2002; 40: 937-943
- Gastrointestinal surgery for severe obesity.Ann Intern Med. 1991; 115: 956-961
- Overweight and obesity: Obesity trends: U.S. Obesity Trends 1985-2005.Accessed June 18, 2007)
- Who would have thought it?.Ann Surg. 1995; 222: 339-352
- The gastric bypass operation reduces the progression and mortality of non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus.J Gastrointest Surg. 1997; 1: 213-220
- Effect of laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass on Type 2 diabetes mellitus.Ann Surg. 2003; 238: 467-484
- Surgery decreases long-term mortality, morbidity, and health care use in morbidly obese patients.Ann Surg. 2004; 240: 416-423
- Impact of gastric bypass operation on survival: a population-based analysis.J Am Coll Surg. 2004; 199: 543-551
- Etiology of type II diabetes mellitus: role of the foregut.World J Surg. 2001; 25: 527-531
- A new paradigm for type 2 diabetes mellitus: could it be a disease of the foregut?.Ann Surg. 1998; 227: 637-643
- Effect of 24 hours of starvation on plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in subjects with untreated non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus.Metab Clin Exp. 1996; 45: 492-497
- The mechanism of diabetes control after gastrointestinal bypass surgery reveals a role of the proximal small intestine in the pathophysiology of type 2 diabetes.Ann Surg. 2006; 244: 741-749
- Control of Type 2 diabetes mellitus in non-obese patients with stomach sparing duodeno-jejunal exclusion (SSDJE): report of the first ten cases.Surg Obes Related Dis. 2009; (in press)
- Trends in mortality in bariatric surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Surgery. 2007; 142: 621-635
- Surgical mortality as an indicator of hospital quality.JAMA. 2004; 292: 847-851
Funding: This work was supported by Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc, a Johnson & Johnson Company, Cincinnati, Ohio.
Conflict of Interest: None of the authors have any conflicts of interest associated with the work presented in this manuscript.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and played a role in writing this manuscript.