Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Hyponatremia among runners in the Boston Marathon.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 1550-1556
- Hyponatremia, cerebral edema, and noncardiogenic pulmonary edema in marathon runners.Ann Intern Med. 2000; 132: 711-714
- Exercise-associated hyponatremia in marathon runners: a two-year experience.J Emerg Med. 2001; 21: 47-57
- The incidence, risk factors and clinical manifestations of hyponatremia in marathon runners.Clin J Sports Med. 2003; 13: 41-47
- Sodium status of collapsed marathon runners.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2005; 129: 227-230
Goudie AM, Tunstall-Pedoe DS, Kerins M, Terris J. Exercise-associated hyponatraemia after a marathon. J R Soc Med. 2006;99(7):363-367.
- Consensus Statement of the 1st International Exercise-Associated Hyponatremia Consensus Development Conference, Cape Town, South Africa 2005.Clin J Sports Med. 2005; 15: 208-213
- Effect of marathon running on inflammatory and hemostatic markers.Am J Cardiol. 2001; 88: 35-37
- Effect of marathon running on hematological and biochemical laboratory parameters including cardiac markers.Am J Clin Pathol. 2002; 118: 856-863
- Measurement of a plasma stroke biomarker panel and cardiac troponin T in marathon runners before and after the 2005 Boston marathon.Am J Clin Pathol. 2006; 126: 1-5
- Circulating cytokines and hormones with immunosuppressive but neutrophil-priming potentials rise after endurance exercise in humans.Eur J Appl Physiol. 2000; 81: 281-287
- How circulating cytokines trigger the neural circuits that control the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis.Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2001; 26: 761-788
- Muscle-derived interleukin-6: mechanisms for activation and possible biological roles.FASEB J. 2002; 16: 1335-1347
- The syndrome of inappropriate secretion of antidiuretic hormone.Am J Med. 1967; 42: 790-806
- Interaction of osmotic and volume stimuli in the regulation of neurohypophyseal secretion of rats.Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 1986; 250: R267-R275
- Neurohypophyseal secretion in response to cholecystokinin but not meal-induced gastric distention in humans.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1989; 68: 837-843
- Water intoxication: a possible complication during endurance exercise.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1985; 17: 370-375
- Hyponatremia and ultramarathon running.JAMA. 1986; 255: 772-774
- Dehydration and hyponatremia during triathlons.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1989; 21: 219-221
- Exercise-induced hyponatremia in ultradistance triathletes is caused by inappropriate fluid retention.Clin J Sport Med. 2000; 10: 272-278
- The syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion and other hypo-osmolar disorders.in: Schrier R.W. Diseases of the Kidney and Urinary Tract. 7th ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia2001: 2511-2548
- Roles of arginine vasopressin and atrial natriuretic peptide in polydipsia-hyponatremia of schizophrenic patients.Psychiatry Res. 2001; 101: 39-45
- Nephrogenic syndrome of inappropriate antidiuresis.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 1884-1890
- Over-consumption of fluids by athletes.BMJ. 2003; 327: 113-114
Noakes TD, Speedy DB. Case proven: exercise associated hyponatremia is due to overdrinking. So why did it take 20 years for the original evidence to be accepted? Br J Sports Med. 2006;40:567-572.
- Evidence in man that urinary electrolyte loss induced by Pitressin is a function of water retention.J Clin Invest. 1953; 32: 868-876
Verbalis JG. Whole-body volume regulation and escape from antidiuresis. Am J Med. 2006;119(7A):S21-S29.
- Atrial natriuretic peptides and oxytocin induce natriuresis by release of cGMP.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999; 96: 278-283
Wadyka S. New rules of hydration: revisionist drinking. Runner's World. 2006; Aug: 68-70.
- Accessed April 16)
- Sodium, potassium and water metabolism in the syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion.Am J Med. 1970; 49: 534-545
- Exercise and fluid replacement. Position stand, Am College of Sports Medicine.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2007; 39: 377-390
- Do electrolyte-containing beverages improve water balance in hyponatremic schizophrenics?.J Clin Psychiatry. 1994; 55: 151-153
- Effects of different sodium concentrations in replacement fluids during prolonged exercise in women.Br J Sports Med. 2003; 37: 300-303
Dugas JP, Noakes TD. Case report: hyponatraemic encephalopathy despite a modest rate of fluid intake during a 109 km cycle race. Br J Sports Med. 2005; 39:e38. Available at: http://bjsm.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/abstract/39/10/e38?maxtoshow = &HITS = 10&hits = 10&RESULTFORMAT = &author1 = dugas&andorexactfulltext = and&searchid = 1130785119960_3707&stored_search = &FIRSTINDEX = 0&sortspec = relevance&volume = 39&resourcetype = 1&journalcode = bjsports. Accessed December 1, 2005.
Dugas J. Sodium ingestion and hyponatraemia: sports drinks do not prevent a fall in serum sodium concentration during exercise. Br J Sports Med. 2005; Available at: http://bjsm.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/abstract/39/10/e38?maxtoshow = &HITS = 10&hits = 10&RESULTFORMAT = &author1 = dugas&andorexactfulltext = and&searchid = 1130785119960_3707&stored_search = &FIRSTINDEX = 0&sortspec = relevance&volume = 39&resourcetype = 1&journalcode = bjsports. Accessed December 1, 2005.
- Updated fluid recommendations: position statement from the International Marathon Medical Directors Association (IMMDA).Clin J Sports Med. 2006; 16: 283-292
- Accessed December 6)
- Exercise-associated hyponatremia: a mathematical review.Sports Med. 2005; 35: 899-922
- Hyponatraemic coma induced by desmopressin and ibuprofen in a woman with von Willebrand's disease.Haemophilia. 2003; 9: 232-234
- Evaluation and management of hypo-osmolality in hospitalized patients.Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 2003; 32: 459-481
- Disorders of body water homeostasis.Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003; 17: 471-503
- The pathophysiology and treatment of hyponatraemic encephalopathy: an update.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2003; 18: 2486-2491
- Predictors of outcome in hospitalized patients with severe hyponatremia.J Natl Med Assoc. 2003; 95: 335-343
- Consequences of inadequate management of hyponatremia.Am J Nephrol. 2005; 25: 240-249
- Adaptation to acute and chronic hyponatremia: implications for symptomatology, diagnosis, and therapy.Semin Nephrol. 1998; 18: 3-19
Stearns RH, Silver SM. Brain volume regulation to hypo-osmolality and its correction. Am J Med. 2006;119(7A):S12-S16.
- Symptomatic hyponatremia during treatment of dehydrating diarrheal disease with reduced osmolarity oral rehydration solution.JAMA. 2006; 296: 567-573
- Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis activation and stimulation of systemic vasopressin secretion by recombinant interleukin-6 in humans: potential implications for the syndrome of inappropriate vasopressin secretion.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1994; 79: 934-939
Siegel AJ. Exercise-associated hyponatremia: role of cytokines. Am J Med. 2006;119(7A):S87-S92.
- Perturbations of arginine vasopressin secretion during inflammatory stress.Ann NY Acad Sci. 2000; 917: 825-834
Beukhof CM, Hoorn EJ, Lindemans J, Zeitse R. Novel risk factors for hospital-acquired hyponatremia: a matched case-control study. Clin Endocrinol. 2007;66:367-372.
- Three independent biological mechanisms cause exercise-associated hyponatremia: evidence from 2,135 weighed competitive athletic performances.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2005; 102: 18550-18555
- Exercise associated hyponatremia: quantitative analysis to understand the etiology.Br J Sports Med. 2006; 40: 98-105
Rosner MH, Kirven J. Exercise-associated hyponatremia. In-depth review. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2007;2:151-161.
- Genetic predisposition of the interleukin-6 response to inflammation: implications for a variety of major diseases.Clin Chem. 2004; 50: 2136-2140
- Vasopressin V2 receptor antagonists.J Mol Endocrinol. 2002; 29: 1-9
Palm C, Pistrosch F, Herbrig K, Gross P. Vasopressin antagonists as aquaretic agents for the treatment of hyponatremia. Am J Med. 2006;119(7A):S87-S92.
Munger MA. New agents for managing hyponatremia in hospitalized patients. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2007;64:253-65.
Supported in part by grants KO5-DA00064, KO5-DA00101, and POI-DA14528 from National Institute on Drug Abuse, and by grant M01-RR 020359 from the National Center for Research Resources, National Institutes of Health.