WISQARS. Weapon-related Injury Surveillance Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. August 2015. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars. Accessed August 1, 2015.
- Crime Is Not the Problem: Lethal Violence in America.Oxford University Press, New York1997
- Private Guns, Public Health.University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor, MI2006
- Rates of homicide, suicide and firearm-related death among children: twenty-six industrialized countries.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1997; 46: 101-105
World Health Organization Department of Health Statistics and Information Systems. WHO Mortality Data Base Documentation. Available at: http://www.who.int/healthinfo/statistics/documentation.zip?ua=1 Date. Accessed June 1, 2015.
- OECD Country Classifications 2010.2010 (Available at:)Accessed May 28, 2015)
StataCorp. Stata Statistical Software: Release 13. 2013, College Station, TX: StataCorp LP
- Homicide, suicide and unintentional firearm fatality: comparing the United States with other high-income countries.J Trauma. 2011; 70: 238-243
ICVS International Working Group. ICPSR ICVS Series. International Crime Victimization Surveys Series. Available at: http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/ICPSR/series/175. Accessed June 1, 2015.
- Firearm availability and homicide: a review of the literature.Aggress Violent Behav. 2004; 9: 417-440
- To kill or not to kill? Lethal outcomes in injurious attacks.Criminology. 1996; 34: 201-227
- Bring a gun to a gun fight: armed adversaries and violence across nations.Soc Sci Res. 2014; 47: 79-90
- Firearm possession and violent death.Aggress Violent Behav. 2013; 18: 709-721
- The accessibility of firearms and risk of suicide and homicide victimization among household members.Ann Intern Med. 2014; 160: 101-110
- Gun ownership, suicide, and homicide: an international perspective. Understanding Crime: Experiences of Crime and Crime Control.UNICRI, Rome1993
- Firearm availability and homicide rates across 26 high income countries.J Trauma. 2000; 49: 985-988
- Firearm availability and female homicide victimization rates across 25 populous high income countries.J Am Med Womens Assoc. 2002; 57: 100-104
- Firearms and Violence: A Critical Review.(The National Academies Press; Washington, DC)2004
- The relationship between firearms and suicide: a review of the literature.Aggress Violent Behav. 1999; 4: 59-75
- Firearms and suicide in the United States: is risk independent of underlying suicidal behavior?.Am J Epidemiol. 2013; 178: 940-955
- Suicide mortality in the United States: the importance of attending to method in understanding population-level disparities in the burden of suicide.Annu Rev Public Health. 2012; 33: 393-408
- Suicide prevention: a public health/public policy approach.Omega (Westport). 1977; 8: 267-276
- Characteristics of impulsive suicide attempts and attempters.Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2001; 32: 49-59
- The epidemiology of case fatality rates for suicide in the northeast.Ann Emerg Med. 2004; 43: 723-730
- Suicide prevention strategies: a systematic review.J Am Med Assoc. 2005; 294: 2064-2074
- National Strategy for Suicide Prevention: Goals and Objectives for Action.Office of the Surgeon General, Rockville, MD2012
- Firearm-related deaths in the United States and thirty-five other high- and upper-middle-income countries.Int J Epidemiol. 1998; 27: 214-221
- Causes and correlations of lethal violence in America: American homicide exceptionalism.Univ Colo Law Rev. 1998; 69: 969-1008
- Guns, violent crime and suicide in twenty-one countries.Can J Criminol. 2001; 156: 429-448
- Reassessing the association between gun availability and homicide at the cross-national level.Am J Crim Justice. 2012; 37: 682-704
- Small Arms Survey, 2007.([Dataset])2007 (Available at:)Accessed October 1, 2015)
Funding: This research was funded in part by The Joyce Foundation Award Number 14-36094 (DH).
Conflict of Interest: None.
Authorship: Both authors had access to the data and played a role in writing this manuscript.