What is the National Institutes of Health? Bethesda, Maryland; National Institutes of Health. Available at: http://www.nih.gov/about/Faqs.htm#NIH. Accessed November 4, 2004.
- Scientific basis for the support of biomedical science.Science. 1976; 192: 105-111
- Comroe and Dripps revisited.Br Med J (Clin Res Ed). 1987; 295: 1404-1407
- Academic medicine: time for reinvention: research needs researching.BMJ. 2004; 328: 48
- Translation of highly promising basic science research into clinical applications.Am J Med. 2003; 114: 477-484
- Translating basic discoveries into better health care.Am J Med. 2004; 116: 431-434
- Do the results of randomized clinical trials of cardiovascular drugs influence medical practice?.N Engl J Med. 1992; 327: 241-247
- Impact of clinical trials on clinical practice.Lancet. 1993; 342: 891-894
- Relation between prepublication release of clinical trial results and the practice of carotid endarterectomy.JAMA. 2000; 284: 2886-2893
- Impact of clinical trial results on national trends in alpha-blocker prescribing, 1996–2002.JAMA. 2004; 291: 54-62
- How can payback from health services research be assessed.?.J Health Serv Res Policy. 1996; 1: 35-43
- Evaluating ‘payback’ on biomedical research from papers cited in clinical guidelines.BMJ. 2000; 320: 1107-1111
- The 10/90 Report on Health Research 2003–2004. Global Forum for Health Research, Geneva, Switzerland2004
NIH Office of Extramural Research. NIH Research Project Grant Program (R01). Available at: http://grants.nih.gov/grants/funding/r01.htm.
National Institutes of Health. Summary of the FY 2004 President’s budget, February 3rd, 2003. Available at: www.nih.gov. Accessed November 4, 2004.
NIH Office of Extramural Research. NIH extramural awards by state and foreign site. Available at: http://grants1.nih.gov/grants/award/state/state.htm. Accessed November 4, 2004.
Morse RJ, Flanigan S. How we rank schools. US News and World Report. Available at: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/about/03rank.htm. Accessed November 4, 2004.
- ISI Journal Citation Reports. Science Edition. 2002 (Available at: http://isi5.isiknowledge.com. Accessed November 4, 2004.)
- How can impact factors be improved?.BMJ. 1996; 313: 411-413
- Clinical research and the NIH—a report card.N Engl J Med. 2003; 349: 1860-1865
- Distribution of research awards from the National Institutes of Health among medical schools.N Engl J Med. 2000; 342: 250-255
- Research advances and resource constraints.N Engl J Med. 1981; 305: 320-324
- Government funding of research and development.Science. 1997; 278: 878-879
- Flows of knowledge from universities and federal laboratories.Proc Natl Acad Sci. 1996; 93: 12671-12677
- Improving Priority Setting and Public Input at the National Institutes of Health. National Academy of Sciences, Washington, DC1998