Post-marketing studies of drug efficacy: How?

      This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.


      This report reviews the 100 most recently approved drugs in order to quantify the frequency with which post-marketing studies of drug efficacy can be performed experimentally and non-experimentally. These drugs represent 131 potential drug uses. Of them, the absolute efficacy of 89 (68 percent) could be evaluated from clinical observations. Of the remaining 42, six (14 percent) could be studied experimentally or non-experimentally, six (14 percent) only experimentally, one (2 percent) only non-experimentally, and 29 (69 percent) by neither technique. Answers to all questions of relative efficacy required formal research. Of these, 94 (72 percent) could be studied using either experimental or non-experimental techniques. The remaining 37 (28 percent) could be studied experimentally only. Thus, clinical observations and non-experimental research can contribute a large proportion of the information about drug efficacy still needed after marketing.
      To read this article in full you will need to make a payment

      Purchase one-time access:

      Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
      One-time access price info
      • For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
      • For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'


      Subscribe to The American Journal of Medicine
      Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
      Already an online subscriber? Sign in
      Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect


        • Barron BA
        • Bukantz SC
        The evaluation of new drugs. current Food and Drug Administration regulations and statistical aspects of clinical trials.
        Arch Intern Med. 1967; 119: 547-556
        • Gross FH
        • Inman WHW
        Drug monitoring.
        Academic Press, New York1977
        • Jick H
        The discovery of drug induced illness.
        N Engl J Med. 1977; 296: 481-485
        • Jick H
        • Walker AM
        • Spriet-Pourra C
        Postmarketing follow-up.
        JAMA. 1979; 242: 2310-2314
        • Slone D
        • Shapiro S
        • Miettinen OS
        • Finkle WD
        • Stolley PD
        Drug evaluation after marketing.
        Ann Intern Med. 1979; 90: 257-261
        • Strom BL
        • Melmon KL
        Can postmarketing surveillance help to effect optimal drug therapy?.
        JAMA. 1979; 242: 2420-2423
        • Wardell WM
        • Tsianco MC
        • Anavekar SN
        • Davis HT
        Post-marketing surveillance of new drugs I: review of objectives and methodology.
        J Clin Pharmacol. 1979; 19: 85-94
      1. Strom BL, Melmon KL, Miettinen OS. Post-marketing studies of drug efficacy: why? Submitted for publication.

        • Miettinen OS
        Efficacy of intervention practice: will epidemiology provide the answers?.
        in: Melmon KL Drug therapeutics—concepts for physician. 2nd ed. Elsevier-North Holland, New York1981: 201-208
        • Miettinen OS
        The need for randomization in the study of intended effects.
        Statistics in Medicine. 1983; 2: 267-271
        • Strom BL
        • Miettinen OS
        • Melmon KL
        Postmarketing studies of drug efficacy: when must they be randomized?.
        Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1983; 34: 1-7
        • Hutchinson TA
        • Polansky SM
        • Feinstein AR
        Post-menopausal oestrogens protect against fractures of hip and distal radius.
        Lancet. 1979; II: 705-709
        • Johnson RE
        • Specht EE
        The risk of hip fracture in post-menopausal females with and without estrogen drug exposure.
        Am J Public Health. 1981; 71: 138-144
        • Weiss NS
        • Ure CL
        • Ballard JH
        • Williams AR
        • Daling JR
        Decreased risk of fractures of the hip and lower forearm with postmenopausal use of estrogen.
        N Engl J Med. 1980; 303: 1195-1198
        • Horwitz RI
        • Feinstein AR
        Improved observational method for studying therapeutic efficacy. Suggestive evidence that lidocaine prophylaxis prevents death in acute myocardial infarction.
        JAMA. 1981; 246: 2455-2459
        • Horwitz RI
        • Feinstein AR
        The application of therapeutic trial principles to improve the design of epidemiologic research. A case-control study suggesting that anticoagulants reduce mortality in patients with myocardial infarction.
        J Chronic Dis. 1981; 34: 575-583